Pest Control Marketing Tip # 295
Build A Better Mousetrap
When it comes to YOUR business…do you think YOU have a better mousetrap?
Ralph Waldo Emerson said, “Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door!”
Well…not if they don’t know you have it. And they must clearly understand why it is better than all of the other mousetraps. They must clearly understand the benefit of purchasing YOUR mousetrap.
Obviously YOU know why it’s better, but if you can’t effectively convey it to your prospective customers, they probably won’t buy from you.
This is the number one reason why most small business owners…including pest control operators, roofers, plumbers, electricians, HVAC and other home service businesses …leave a lot of money on the table that they otherwise could have put in the bank.
Here’s a FACT (Most business owners hate to hear this one): People out there in the real world couldn’t care less about you and your company. It is totally meaningless to them in the grand scheme of things.
What they do care about is this:
- What is it that you really do?
- What can you do for THEM?
- What do you have to offer THEM?
- What problem can you solve for THEM?
- What pain can you alleviate for THEM?
- How can you improve the quality of THEIR lives and/or THEIR businesses?
- How can you add to THEIR bottom line?
- How can you make THEM smile?
- WIIFM (What’s in it for ME?)
They only care about THEM. They don’t care about YOU. Sorry but it’s true (Elmo, the subconscious mind, is extremely self-centered)!
You must know what it is…exactly…that your prospective customer wants and then give it to them.
And it’s very important that you give them MORE than what they expected.
If you’re in the pest control business, you’re not in the business of selling dead bugs. You are actually selling PEACE OF MIND.
- You are taking away their fears and concerns about damages to their homes and property.
- You are removing the threats of serious diseases or harm to their families and/or pets from any types of invading pests.
- You are protecting them from harm…both physical and financial.
- You are helping them sleep better at night.
- You are providing a source of dependable information.
- You are improving the quality of their lives.
- You are an advocate on their behalf.
- You are a trusted advisor.
- You are a dependable friend.
“Dead bugs” can get you in the door but it certainly won’t keep you there…not by a long shot.
There are a thousand and one other pest control companies out there who can get rid of the bugs. If that’s all you have to offer, you become just another commodity and you will almost always lose out to a lower price or a better offer. You simply can’t compete for long at that level. It is non-sustainable.
Bottom line: You need to figure out what it is you can do for your customers that no other company can do. Find a way to be different. Then make sure they clearly understand the difference and how it directly benefits them.
Once you can do that, you are well on your way to harvesting lots more referrals and lots more new customers!
Hal Coleman is the president of Coleman Services, Inc. He is a sales trainer, motivator and business growth coach specializing in the pest control industry. He can be reached at 770-993-0004 or email Hal@HalColeman.com. For more information about Hal’s coaching program visit www.PestControlMarketer.com