The Five Fundamentals of a GOOD Ad
If you’re going to grow your pest control business…or any other home service business such as roofing, plumbing, heating & air, electrical, lawn care, etc….you’re going to have to plan on doing some advertising. And you’d better not depend on advertising agents to build your ads for you because most of them only know how to sell one thing…and that is advertising.
So, let’s take a minute and talk about what makes a good ad. (In this article I will use the term ad to also mean websites because that’s really what a website is. It is an ad.)
A good ad is an ad that SELLS. It generates buying responses from the readers that result in them choosing to purchase your product/service.
A poor ad is an ad that doesn’t sell. It fails to generate buying responses from the readers and therefore they do not purchase your product/service.
Hence, a good ad will make you money and a poor ad will cost you money.
There are 5 basic fundamentals that should be included in any ad or on any website in order to make it successful.
Sadly, most ads don’t contain many, if any of these 5 things. And they are mostly written by professional advertising agents or web designers who simply do not understand direct response marketing. They conform to the most contagious and deadly forms of conventional advertising wisdom…which means their ads are only minimally effective…and they charge you and me a fortune to produce them.
A really good ad must…
- Grab ATTENTION – This can be done in lots of ways, including using graphics or simply with a big, headline that makes a bold statement or promise of benefit to the reader. The danger with graphics is that, in many cases, they actually do more harm than good. Graphic designers are notorious for destroying what otherwise could have been a pretty good ad. Remember: The ad must be easily READABLE. And any graphics used should be PERTINENT to the product or service you are selling.
- Show an ADVANTAGE or BENEFIT – The ad must clearly show the WIIFM, or “What’s In It for ME?” to the reader. It must answer the question, “Why do I need this?” You must never assume that the reader will figure this out for themselves. That requires the subconscious mind to have to work and the subconscious mind, as you’ve already learned, hates to work.
- PROVE IT – This is most often done with testimonials but can also be done by presenting test results or study findings. Proof is a powerful buying response generator.
- PERSUADE People – The ad must persuade the reader to buy the product. This is salesmanship in print. It is the key to selling anything. There are many strategies and techniques to accomplish this, but the ad or website must persuade viewers to act. If it doesn’t, they won’t.
- Ask for ACTION – The ad must contain a ‘Call to Action’. It must tell people exactly what you want them to do and how to do it. Here are some examples of calls to action:
- Call Today For FREE Consultation and FREE Estimate
- Call 777-777-7777 Today for FREE Sample
- Click Here for a FREE Report
- Visit Our Showroom and Receive a FREE Gift
If you simply stick a phone number in an ad with no specific call to action, you will lose business.
Bottom Line: Most ads simply contain the name of the business, phone number, address, list of features, list of memberships, etc. along with some form of graphics. And, in many cases, the graphics are totally irrelevant to the product being sold!
And that is why most ads (and websites) fail to harvest nearly as many new customers as they could or should.
Now…go take a look at YOUR ad or website and see how it measures up!
To YOUR Success Always,
PS. Would YOU like to know how to DOUBLE, TRIPLE…even QUADRUPLE your business faster than you ever imagined. I want to show you. I will be happy to offer you a FREE One Hour “Double Your Business” Coaching Session. It won’t cost you one penny and I guarantee you’ll come away from that session with a clear picture of what you can do to put YOUR business on much faster grow track and create the future you want and deserve.
Simply give me a call at 770-993-0004 or email Hal@HalColeman.com and we’ll set it up!
PPS. I’d also like to give you a FREE copy of my newest book, “Bottom Line: How To Grow A Pest Control Business!” Just click on this link http://www.HowToGrowAPestControlBusiness.com and follow the instructions to get your copy! This book will change the way you think about selling and marketing for the rest of your life…and it’s yours FREE while my launch promotion lasts! After that, it will cost you $29.95.
PPS. Also, be sure to check out the following resources to help you grow your business: